The Baseball Desert

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Virtual baseball

It hadn't struck me until I checked various blog feeds a few minutes ago that today was the day selected single-game Sox tickets go on sale. Over the past couple of years, this has been a day of much rejoicing here in the Desert, but this time around, real life has placed itself firmly in the way of any plans to make a third consecutive pilgrimage to Fenway.

With the recent change in my job situation I knew that a trip in 2008 was very unlikely, but now that the best opportunity to get tickets for games has passed me by, I'm starting to realise that there'll be no Mother's Day Miracle for me next season, no beers with fellow Sox fans, no hanging around the players' entrance trying to will the evening to go on forever. Damn.

I know there's a lot of far more important shit going on in the world right now, but I need a little pick-me-up, so I'm going to stick Faith Rewarded in the DVD player, pour myself a beer and raise a toast to friends and fellow Red Sox fans 4,000 miles away:

The body will unfortunately be staying in Paris next season, but I'll be with y'all in spirit. GO SOX!