The Baseball Desert

Monday, July 07, 2008

Pinch hits


Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the key word in the term "pinch hitter", "hitter"? Pinch is the situation, but hitting is what you're supposed to be doing.

If that is indeed the case, someone needs to talk to Manny, who came in in the 9th, looked at 3 strikes from Rivera without swinging at a single one and went back to his seat in the dugout. Fellow pinch-hitter Jason Varitek didn't fare much better with his broken-bat grounder to the mound, but at least he took a swing at the damn ball.

The loss wasn't all Manny's (or even Varitek's) fault. They were both aided and abetted by some careless pitching and a bad ricochet, but having stayed up until 5.30am on a workday morning to watch another gift-wrapped Yankees win, I'm not looking to discuss the finer details of the situation. I'm just looking for a scapegoat, and since Manny was apparently "just looking" too, he's it.

Things'll be better later today, I'm sure, but in the meantime, if you need me, I'm the guy sat over there in the corner, quietly fuming.