The Baseball Desert

Monday, July 21, 2008

There are others, you know...

Those with good memories might recall a couple of Bill Bryson posts on here a while back. Well, the man is back with a brief appearance.

I was on the Eurostar to London the weekend before last, and actually had the time and inclination to sit down a read the Sunday Times (a real, get-your-hands-dirty newspaper, like in the good old days), which is where I came across the article in question. However, I think the whole 'reading a newspaper' thing took a toll on my poor old brain: I tore the page out of the paper, tucked it away in my suitcase, took it into the office, scanned it into a JPEG document and was just about to post the image here on the blog when I thought "Hmmmm...maybe it's online in some form or another." And, of course, it is (see the last paragraph).

After years of following the game at a distance, I'm used to having that feeling of vague disconnect combined with immense pleasure, but it's always reassuring to know that you're not alone, and that there are others out there getting excited about being able to turn on the TV and watch a midweek game between the Sox and the Twins.