The Baseball Desert

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crystal bollocks

I look at the image above and see eggs; Dan Shaughnessy looks at it and sees chickens, all fully hatched.

This article doesn't bother me so much from the "don't jinx the Sox" angle (although, like any baseball fan, that did cross my mind) as it does from the "look at the facts" angle. Shaughnessy compares this Sox team to the '04 team and talks about the unstoppable run it went on. What he singularly fails to see is that before going on that unstoppable run, they managed to find themselves down three games down to the Yankees. I'm just curious to know, since the Sox themselves proved you can come back from 0-3 in the ALCS, what magical prediction tools Shaughnessy is using to write the Rays off after a single loss.

I know I should be celebrating and focusing on all the positives of winning Game 1 at the Trop, but minor jet-lag and major fatigue have got me all grumpy this morning , and Shaughnessy's smug piece of pseudo-journalism just pushed the wrong buttons. Hopefully I'll be back later, this time with my happy face on.