The Baseball Desert

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Oops

(photo: AP)

I read somewhere yesterday (but can't for the life of me remember where) that the Angels and their attitude could basically be summed up in the idea of always trying to go from first to third. It's therefore a little ironic that they blew themselves out of a potential big 8th inning when Vlad tried to do just that.

That mistake kept the Angels' tally at one, and that was all Meesrs. Lester, Masterson and Papelbon needed. Great pitching, a two-run home run from Jason Bay, a highlight-reel catch from Ellsbury and Game 1 was in the bag.

I had hoped the Sox would steal at least one in Anaheim, so it's a great result. To do it in the first of the two games is even better, as it puts the Angels on the back foot for Friday's Dice-K / Santana matchup.

Can't wait for that one. Bring it on.

-----------

Note to any lip-readers out there: although I was able to decipher John Lackey's full-screen "Fuuuuck!!" after being taken out of the game, I couldn't make out what Masterson said to the 2nd base umpire after Ellsbury's catch. Whatever it was, it had them both smiling. If anyone out there can help me, I'd love to hear from you.