The Baseball Desert

Monday, February 16, 2009

The End


It doesn't take a genius to see that this site has been on life support for more time that I care to mention: 40 posts in the past year - including 12 in the month of October and none since November 4th - is not the stuff of which blogging legends are made. Well, today I'm finally switching off the machine and declaring The Baseball Desert clinically dead.

I admit to having been holding on to see if the time and energy to blog re-surfaced at all, but I'm sad to say they haven't. Part of me is glad, because that means that the time I used to spend sat in front of a computer screen ranting about baseball is now being spent doing other things (including a job I love). The other part of me is saying goodbye with a lot of regret, because this project, which started out as just a way to avoid talking to random brick walls, has allowed me to make friends - both real and virtual - across the world, and to share some magical baseball moments that just would not have been the same otherwise. It might have begun life as a desert, but it allowed me to find a team, a community and a sense of belonging.

Thank you to all those readers - both loyal and casual - who have stopped by here over the past 5 1/2 years. I would like to hope that the random musings of some English guy occasionally amused, entertained and maybe even enlightened you. From my end, your interest and comments and occasional insults are what made all of this worthwhile.

I know from experience that this Internet thingy can be addictive, so I may be back at some point in the future, wearing a new suit, but in the meantime, take care, be safe and Go Sox!